Maria Psillaki is Professor at the Department of Economics of the University of Piraeus. She studied at the University of Nice Sophia Antipolis, in France where she received her Bachelor, Master and PhD with the highest honors. For her PhD, she received a scholarship from the French Ministry of Education.
She has held visiting research positions in London (Birckbeck College, University of London) as Visiting Researcher (Post Docroral Research Fellow), funded by the CEPR (Centre for Economic Policy Research) and ERSC (Economic and Social Research Council) and in Chicago as Visitor Researcher at the Graduate Booth School of Business, University of Chicago. She has also held visiting faculty positions at European and American universities such as the Rutgers University in New Jersey (USA), Department of Business Administration, and the University of Cyprus, Department of Public and Business Administration. Before joining the University of Piraeus in 2009, she was Associate Professor at the University of Nice-Sophia Antipolis in France at the Economics Department from 2001 to 2008. She has participated in various European research Programs.
She has published in high quality reviewed journals such as the Journal of Small Business Management, the European Journal of Operational Research, the Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, the Journal of Banking and Finance, the Small Business Economics, the Applied Financial Economics, the Journal of Productivity Analysis. She served as referee in a number of reputed journals such as the Journal of Banking and Finance, the Small Business Economics, the European Journal of Operational Research.
From 2009 to 2012 she was Vice President of the Hellenic Finance and Accounting Association (HFAA). Her areas of expertise are in corporate finance, and banking.
- Microeconomics ΙΙ | 3rd semester (compulsory)
- Public Enterprises | 3rd semester (elective)
- Banking and Fianace | 6th semester (elective)
- Applied Topics in Microeconomics | 6th semester (elective)
- Economics 1 - Department of Industrial Management & Technology | 1st semester (compulsory)
M.Sc. "Economic and Business Strategy"
- Financial Management | 1st semester (compulsory)
- Special Topics in Finance and Banking | 3rdsemester (elective)
M.Sc. "Economics of Health Management"
- Management of Financial Resources | 3rd semester (elective)
PUBLICATIONS (REFEREED JOURNALS)
1. “What drives bank performance in transition economies? The impact of reforms and regulations” (with E. Mamatzakis), Research in International Business and Finance, vol. 39, pp. 578-594, 2017.
2. “The impact of Basel III indexes of leverage and liquidity CRDIV/CRR on bank performance: Evidence from Greek banks” (with E.Georgoulea), Spoudai, vol. 66, no 1-2, pp. 79-107, 2016.
3. “Trade Credit, Bank Credit and Flight to Quality: Evidence from French SMEs” (with K. Eleftheriou), Journal of Small Business Management, 53 (4), pp. 1219-1240, 2015.
4.“Firm Efficiency and Stock Returns” (with B. Frijns and D. Margaritis), Journal of Productivity Analysis, vol. 37 (3), pp. 295-306, 2012.
5.“Evaluation of credit risk based on firm performance” (with I. Tsolas and D. Margaritis), European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 201 (3), pp. 873–881, 2010.
6.“Capital structure, equity ownership and firm performance” (with D. Margaritis) Journal of Banking and Finance, vol.34, pp. 621–632, 2010 Science Direct Top 25 Hottest Articles in Economics, Finance and Econometrics (http://top25.sciencedirect.com/subject/economics-econometrics-and finance/10/archive/27)
7."Are the Determinants of Capital Structure Country or Firm Specific? Evidence from SMEs" (with N. Daskalakis), Small Business Economics, vol.33 (3), pp. 319-329, 2009 listed on SSRN's Top Ten download list for Corporate Governance:International/Non-US) http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/topten/topTenResults.cfm?groupingId=1346658&netorjrnl=jrnl
8.“A study on the impact of the development of e-learning based on four European Universities” (with T. Garrot and S. Rochhia), issue 155, Reseaux, 2009.
9."Do country or firm factors explain capital structure? Evidence from SMEs in France and Greece" (with N. Daskalakis) Applied Financial Economics, vol. 18 (2), pp. 87-97, 2008.
10.“Long-Run Interdependence and Dynamic Linkages in International Stock Markets: Evidence from France Germany and the U.S” (with D. Margaritis), Journal of Money, Investment and Banking, issue 4, pp. 59-73, 2008.
11.“Describing E-learning Development in European Higher Education Institutions Using a Balanced Scorecard”, (with T. Garrot and S. Rochhia), RUSC (Revista de Universidad y Sociedad del Conocimiento), vol. 5 (1), pp. 57-70, 2008.
12. "Capital Structure and firm efficiency" (with D. Margaritis) Journal of Business Finance and Accounting vol. 34 (9-10), pp. 1447-1469, 2007.
13. "Market Dynamics: Introduction", (with R. Arena and C. Longhi), special issue on “Market Dynamics”, Editors R. Arena, C. Longhi and M. Psillaki, Revue d’Economie Industrielle, n°107, 3rd semester, September 2004, pp. 13-19.
14. "Debt Marketability and Efficiency" (with W. Perraudin), Birkbeck College Preprint, University of London, October, 2002.
15. "Transaction costs and the nature of information: an application to the credit market", (with G. Mondello) Spoudai, vol . 51, n°1-2, 2001.
16. "Corporate Restructuring: the Impact of Loan Sales and Credit Derivatives", (with W. Perraudin) Foundation Bank of France, October 1999.
17. "A critical presentation of revelation mechanisms applied in the credit market", on Revue Française d'Economie, vol. XIII, n°2, spring 1998.
18. Proceedings of the conference "The Origins andManagement of Financial Crises", Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge,the 11-12 of July 1997, Bank of England, London, the 14th of July 1997, organised by the CEPR (Centre for Economic Policy Research) on the Newsletter of CEPR, issue 7, May 1998.
19. "Financing small and medium sized firms: coordination and transaction costs", (in french) (with G. Mondello), Cahiers Monnaie et Financement, n°24, 1996.
20. "Credit rationing and small and medium sized firms:a tentative of linkage", on Revue Internationale PME, (Canadian Review), n°3-4, vol. 8, winter 1995.
CONTRIBUTION TO COLLECTIVE BOOK
1."Incentive contracts and risk appreciation", in "Contrôle des activités bancaires et risques financiers", Economica, 1998.
2.”Start-up Financing and Evaluation”in “Entrepreneurial Small Firms’ Management, University of Piraeus, 2008.
WORK IN PROGRESS
1. “Firm efficiency and M&A in the banking industry”(with I. Tsolas, D. Margaritis and S. Brissimis).
2. “Trade credit decisions and inter-firm effects”(with D. Margaritis, I. Komarev and K. Eleftheriou).
3. “M&As create value? Evidence from European banks”(with D. Margaritis and A. Koutsomanoli-Filipaki).
Fall Semester 2022-2023
- Monday, 12:00-14:00
- Wednesday, 14:00-16:00
Spring Semester 2022-2023
- Tuesday, 09:00-10:00
- Wednesday, 12:00-14:00