Konstantinos Eleftheriou is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Economics at the University of Piraeus. He served as an Assistant Professor of Economics in the College of Business Administration at Abu Dhabi University (September 2011 – June 2014). He obtained his MSc and PhD in Economics from the University of Essex (UK) and his BSc in Economics from the University of Athens (Greece). His primary research interests include taxation and labor markets, externalities and government intervention, and regional disparities. Subsidiary interests include SMEs financing, and audit theory. His work has been published in international journals like Accounting and Business Research, Economics Letters, Economic Modelling, Journal of Small Business Management, Papers in Regional Science, and Economics Bulletin.
Public Economics (Department of Business Administration), 5th Semester (optional)
Public Economics I, 5th Semester (compulsory)
Labor Economics, 5th Semester (optional)
Public Economics II, 6th Semester (compulsory)
Special Topics in Public Economics, 7th Semester (optional)
International Finance: Theory and Practice, 3rd Semester (optional)
PUBLICATIONS (REFEREED JOURNALS/BOOK CHAPTERS)
- Stamatopoulos, I., Hadjidema, S., and Eleftheriou, K., Explaining corporate effective tax rates: Evidence from Greece. Economic Analysis and Policy (forthcoming).
- Eleftheriou, K., and Polemis, M., The equity implications of e-commerce: A note. Managerial and Decision Economics, https://doi.org/10.1002/mde.3020 (forthcoming).
- Eleftheriou, K., Spillovers of tax audits in Greek tourist destinations. Annals of Tourism Research, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2018.10.002 (forthcoming).
- Alexiadis, S., Eleftheriou, K., and Nijkamp, P., A note on unemployment and health convergence in space: Evidence from US States. Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12061-018-9266-6 (forthcoming).
- Eleftheriou, K., Nijkamp, P., and Polemis, M., Asymmetric price adjustments in US gasoline markets: Impacts of spatial dependence on the ‘rockets and feathers’ hypothesis. Regional Studies, https://doi.org/10.1080/00343404.2018.1463093 (forthcoming).
- Eleftheriou, K., and Sambracos, E., 2019. Tourism-growth nexus and spatial spillovers: Evidence from Greece. Tourism Economics 25(2), 297-302
- Polemis, M., and Eleftheriou, K., 2018. To regulate or to deregulate? The role of downstream competition in upstream monopoly vertically linked markets. Bulletin of Economic Research 70(1), 51-63.
- Stamatopoulos, I., Hadjidema, S., and Eleftheriou, K., 2017. Corporate income tax compliance costs and their determinants: Evidence from Greece. In: J. Hasseldine (ed) Advances in Taxation 24, Emerald Publishing Limited, 233-270.
- Fotis, P., Polemis, M., and Eleftheriou, K., 2017. Unilateral effects of partial acquisitions: Consistent calculation of GUPPI under horizontal merger guidelines within the EU. Economia e Politica Industriale 44, 315-325.
- Eleftheriou, K., Michelacakis, N., and Papavassiliou, V., 2016. Addendum to Eleftheriou and Michelacakis (2016). Economics Letters 148, 53-54.
- Eleftheriou, K., and Michelacakis, N., 2016. A comment on 'Vertical mergers and downstream spatial competition with different product varieties'. Economics Letters 143, 84-86.
- Eleftheriou, K., and Iyanna, S., 2016. Editorial - Special Issue on Sustainable Production and Consumption in the UAE. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 55, 1164-1165.
- Klumpes, P., Komarev, I., and Eleftheriou, K., 2016. The pricing of audit and non-audit services in a regulated environment: A longitudinal study of the UK life insurance industry. Accounting and Business Research 46(3), 278-302.
- Al Nuaimi, S., Chowdhury, H., Eleftheriou, K., and Katsioloudes, M., 2015. Participative decision-making and job satisfaction for teachers in the UAE. International Journal of Educational Management 29(5), 645-665.
- Psillaki, M., and Eleftheriou, K., 2015. Trade credit, bank credit and flight to quality: Evidence from French SMEs. Journal of Small Business Management 53(4), 1219-1240.
- Alexiadis, S., Eleftheriou, K., and Nijkamp, P., 2014. Intraregional income convergence: Cross section and time series evidence from the USA. In: K. Kourtit, P. Nijkamp, and R. Stimson (eds) Applied Regional Growth and Innovation Models, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2014, 217-240.
- Alexiadis, S., Eleftheriou, K., and Nijkamp, P., 2013. Technology adoption within a search model: Evidence from OECD countries. Economic Modelling 33(C) 137-148.
- Alexiadis, S., Eleftheriou, K., and Nijkamp, P., 2013. Regional inequalities and the impact of ‘matching technology’ on the arrival rate of employment offers: A theoretical and empirical analysis. Papers in Regional Science 92(2), 285-304.
- Eleftheriou, K., Athanasiou, G., and Kougoulis, P., 2013. Labour market, obesity and public policy considerations. Economics Bulletin 33(1), 783-793.
- Hadjidema, S., and Eleftheriou, K., 2013. A search theoretic approach on environmental taxation under productive differentials: A note. International Advances in Economic Research 19(2), 153-166.
- Hadjidema, S., Eleftheriou, K., and Alexiadis, S., 2012. Punishing Erysichthon: A survey on the employment double-dividend effects of environmental taxation. In: S. Sunderasan (ed) Externality: Economics, Management and Outcomes, Nova Publishers, New York, 67-79.
- Alexiadis, S., and Eleftheriou, K., 2011. A note on the relation between inter-regional inequality and economic efficiency: Evidence from US States. Regional Science Policy & Practice 3(1), 37-44.
- Eleftheriou, K., 2011. Efficiency and specialization: A search theoretic approach. Economic Modelling, 28(1-2), 229-238.
- Alexiadis, S., and Eleftheriou, K., 2010. A note on the morphology of regional unemployment in Greece. Economics Bulletin 30(4), 2779-2786.
- Eleftheriou, K., Athanasiou, G., and Petrakis, P., 2010. Wages and higher education participation. Journal of Research in Educational Sciences 1(1), 21-31.
- Petrakis, P., and Eleftheriou, K., 2009. Informal financing of small - medium enterprise sector: The case of Greece. Journal of Service Science and Management 2(4), 378-383.
- Eleftheriou, K., 2008. Modelling the effects of corporate taxation in the underground economy. eJournal of Tax Research 6(2), 169-194.
- Eleftheriou, K., 2008. Matching, specialties and wage inequality. Economics Bulletin 10(11), 1-12.
WORK IN PROGRESS
- Tax evasion and the Laffer curve: Estimates for OECD countries (with C. Christou and S. Hadjidema).
- Corporate tax evasion and search: A refinement of the Laffer curve (with S. Hadjidema).
- The dynamics of income disparities across the US States: A Vector Error Correction Model approach (with S. Alexiadis and P. Nijkamp).
- Trade credit decisions and inter-firm effects (with D. Margaritis, M. Psillaki and I. Komarev).
Spring Semester 2018-2019
- Wednesday, 15:00-17:00