Konstantinos Eleftheriou is an Associate Professor in the Department of Economics at the University of Piraeus. He served as an Assistant Professor of Economics in the College of Business Administration at Abu Dhabi University (September 2011 – June 2014). He obtained his MSc and PhD in Economics from the University of Essex (UK) and his BSc in Economics from the University of Athens (Greece). His primary research interests include taxation and labor markets, externalities and government intervention, and regional disparities. Subsidiary interests include SMEs financing, and audit theory. His work has been published in international journals like Accounting and Business Research, Annals of Tourism Research, Economics Letters, Economic Modelling, Journal of Small Business Management, Papers in Regional Science, Regional Studies and Social Science & Medicine.
Public Economics (Department of Business Administration), 5th Semester (optional)
Public Economics I, 5th Semester (compulsory)
Labor Economics, 5th Semester (optional)
Public Economics II, 6th Semester (compulsory)
Special Topics in Public Economics, 7th Semester (optional)
International Finance: Theory and Practice, 3rd Semester (optional)
PUBLICATIONS (REFEREED JOURNALS/BOOK CHAPTERS)
- De Fraja, G., Eleftheriou, K., and Ioakimidis, M., 2022. A note on university admission tests: Simple theory and empirical analysis. The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy 22(3), 623-632.
- Christopoulos, K., Eleftheriou, K., and Nijkamp, P., 2022. The role of pre-pandemic teleworking and E-commerce culture in the COVID-19 dispersion in Europe. Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences 15(1), 1-16 (lead article).
- Eleftheriou, K., Polemis, M., and Stengos, T., 2022. Does market power converge among the US states? Evidence from the natural gas sector. Economics Letters 214, 110432.
- Alexiadis, S., Eleftheriou, K., and Nijkamp, P., 2021. Club convergence of per capita disposable income in the United States. Regional Science Policy & Practice 13(5), 1565-1580.
- CChanis, S., Eleftheriou, K., Hadjidema, S., and Katavelis, V., 2021. Tell me who your co-worker is and I will tell you how much you earn: Human capital spillovers in the Greek health sector. Journal of Education and Work 34(2), 128-142.
- Alexakis, C., Dowling, M., Eleftheriou, K., and Polemis, M., 2021. Textual machine learning: An application to computational economics research. Computational Economics 57, 369-385.
- Alexakis, C., Eleftheriou, K., and Patsoulis, O., 2021. COVID-19 containment measures and stock market returns. An international spatial econometrics investigation. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Finance 29, 100428.
- Eleftheriou, K., and Michelacakis, N., 2020. Location decisions and welfare under spatial price discrimination. Managerial and Decision Economics 41(7), 1202-1210.
- Christopoulos, K., and Eleftheriou, K., 2020. The fiscal impact of health care expenditure: Evidence from the OECD countries. Economic Analysis and Policy 67, 195-202.
- Christopoulos, K., and Eleftheriou, K., 2020. Premature mortality in the US: A convergence study. Social Science & Medicine 258, 113141.
- Eleftheriou, K., and Polemis, M., 2020. One list to fit them all: What do we learn from journal ranking? Finance Research Letters 35, 101278 (lead article).
- Eleftheriou, K., and Polemis, M., 2019. The equity implications of e-commerce: A note. Managerial and Decision Economics 40(5), 515-519.
- Eleftheriou, K., 2019. Spillovers of tax audits in Greek tourist destinations. Annals of Tourism Research 76, 334-337.
- Alexiadis, S., Eleftheriou, K., and Nijkamp, P., 2019. A note on unemployment and health convergence in space: Evidence from US States. Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy 12(3), 719-728.
- Stamatopoulos, I., Hadjidema, S., and Eleftheriou, K., 2019. Explaining corporate effective tax rates: Evidence from Greece. Economic Analysis and Policy 62, 236-254.
- Eleftheriou, K., Nijkamp, P., and Polemis, M., 2019. Asymmetric price adjustments in US gasoline markets: Impacts of spatial dependence on the ‘rockets and feathers’ hypothesis’. Regional Studies 53(5), 667-680.
- Eleftheriou, K., and Sambracos, E., 2019. Tourism-growth nexus and spatial spillovers: Evidence from Greece. Tourism Economics 25(2), 297-302
- Polemis, M., and Eleftheriou, K., 2018. To regulate or to deregulate? The role of downstream competition in upstream monopoly vertically linked markets. Bulletin of Economic Research 70(1), 51-63.
- Stamatopoulos, I., Hadjidema, S., and Eleftheriou, K., 2017. Corporate income tax compliance costs and their determinants: Evidence from Greece. In: J. Hasseldine (ed) Advances in Taxation 24, Emerald Publishing Limited, 233-270.
- Fotis, P., Polemis, M., and Eleftheriou, K., 2017. Unilateral effects of partial acquisitions: Consistent calculation of GUPPI under horizontal merger guidelines within the EU. Economia e Politica Industriale 44, 315-325.
- Eleftheriou, K., Michelacakis, N., and Papavassiliou, V., 2016. Addendum to Eleftheriou and Michelacakis (2016). Economics Letters 148, 53-54.
- Eleftheriou, K., and Michelacakis, N., 2016. A comment on 'Vertical mergers and downstream spatial competition with different product varieties'. Economics Letters 143, 84-86.
- Eleftheriou, K., and Iyanna, S., 2016. Editorial - Special Issue on Sustainable Production and Consumption in the UAE. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 55, 1164-1165.
- Klumpes, P., Komarev, I., and Eleftheriou, K., 2016. The pricing of audit and non-audit services in a regulated environment: A longitudinal study of the UK life insurance industry. Accounting and Business Research 46(3), 278-302.
- Al Nuaimi, S., Chowdhury, H., Eleftheriou, K., and Katsioloudes, M., 2015. Participative decision-making and job satisfaction for teachers in the UAE. International Journal of Educational Management 29(5), 645-665.
- Psillaki, M., and Eleftheriou, K., 2015. Trade credit, bank credit and flight to quality: Evidence from French SMEs. Journal of Small Business Management 53(4), 1219-1240.
- Alexiadis, S., Eleftheriou, K., and Nijkamp, P., 2014. Intraregional income convergence: Cross section and time series evidence from the USA. In: K. Kourtit, P. Nijkamp, and R. Stimson (eds) Applied Regional Growth and Innovation Models, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2014, 217-240.
- Alexiadis, S., Eleftheriou, K., and Nijkamp, P., 2013. Technology adoption within a search model: Evidence from OECD countries. Economic Modelling 33(C) 137-148.
- Alexiadis, S., Eleftheriou, K., and Nijkamp, P., 2013. Regional inequalities and the impact of ‘matching technology’ on the arrival rate of employment offers: A theoretical and empirical analysis. Papers in Regional Science 92(2), 285-304.
- Eleftheriou, K., Athanasiou, G., and Kougoulis, P., 2013. Labour market, obesity and public policy considerations. Economics Bulletin 33(1), 783-793.
- Hadjidema, S., and Eleftheriou, K., 2013. A search theoretic approach on environmental taxation under productive differentials: A note. International Advances in Economic Research 19(2), 153-166.
- Hadjidema, S., Eleftheriou, K., and Alexiadis, S., 2012. Punishing Erysichthon: A survey on the employment double-dividend effects of environmental taxation. In: S. Sunderasan (ed) Externality: Economics, Management and Outcomes, Nova Publishers, New York, 67-79.
- Alexiadis, S., and Eleftheriou, K., 2011. A note on the relation between inter-regional inequality and economic efficiency: Evidence from US States. Regional Science Policy & Practice 3(1), 37-44.
- Eleftheriou, K., 2011. Efficiency and specialization: A search theoretic approach. Economic Modelling, 28(1-2), 229-238.
- Alexiadis, S., and Eleftheriou, K., 2010. A note on the morphology of regional unemployment in Greece. Economics Bulletin 30(4), 2779-2786.
- Eleftheriou, K., Athanasiou, G., and Petrakis, P., 2010. Wages and higher education participation. Journal of Research in Educational Sciences 1(1), 21-31.
- Petrakis, P., and Eleftheriou, K., 2009. Informal financing of small - medium enterprise sector: The case of Greece. Journal of Service Science and Management 2(4), 378-383.
- Eleftheriou, K., 2008. Modelling the effects of corporate taxation in the underground economy. eJournal of Tax Research 6(2), 169-194.
- Eleftheriou, K., 2008. Matching, specialties and wage inequality. Economics Bulletin 10(11), 1-12.
WORK IN PROGRESS
- Tax evasion and the Laffer curve: Estimates for OECD countries (with C. Christou and S. Hadjidema).
- Corporate tax evasion and search: A refinement of the Laffer curve (with S. Hadjidema).
- Trade credit decisions and inter-firm effects (with D. Margaritis, M. Psillaki and I. Komarev).
Spring Semester 2022-2023
- Tuesday, 10:00-12:00
- Wednesday, 12:15-14:15