Dr. Aikaterini-Effraimia (Katerina) Karadimitropoulou is Assistant Professor of Economic Analysis at the Department of Economics of the University of Piraeus. Katerina joined the Department in 2019.
Before joining the department at the University of Piraeus, Katerina was awarded a “Marie Sklodowska Curie Action” (MSCA) Individual Fellowship, for the project “The Role of Global and Sectoral Factors in Labour Share Fluctuations” (July 2017- March 2019).
Prior to this, Katerina was a Senior Lecturer in Macroeconomics at the University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK. She joined the Department of Economics at the University of East Anglia in 2012 as a Lecturer in Macroeconomics, and by 2017 she was promoted to Senior Lecturer.
She holds a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D., 2012) degree in Economics, a Master of Sciences (M.Sc, 2008) degree in Economics and Econometrics and a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc., 2007) degree in Economics with Econometrics from the University of Kent, United Kingdom.
Her research areas of interest include International Macroeconomics and Finance, Applied Macroeconomics, (International) Business Cycles, Economic Growth, Experimental Macroeconomics and Finance. Currently, her research agenda focuses on: (1) understanding the effect of uncertainty co-movement in commodity markets on economic activity of emerging and developed economies; (2) assessing the role of financial constraints in hampering the effect of relative investment prices change on labour shares.
She has published 5 papers in academic journals -some of which are leading in the field- such as the Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, the Journal of Economic, Dynamics and Control, and Macroeconomic Dynamics, and part of her research has been financed by the European Commission’s Horizon 2020, Marie Sklodowska Curie Action (MSCA) and the Economic and Social Research Couclil (ESRC) grants.
- Introduction to Macroeconomics Ι - (1st semester) - mandatory (syllabus)
- Macroeconomics II - Intermediate - (4th semester) - mandadory (syllabus)
- Special Topics in International Macroeconomics (7th semester) - elective (syllabus)
- International Firms and Investments (8th semester) - elective (syllabus)
A. Published Articles, Working Papers & Work in Progress
- Bussière, M., Karadimitropoulou A., and León-Ledesma M., (n.d). Current Account Dynamics and the Real Exchange Rate: Disentangling the Evidence, Macroeconomic Dynamics,1-31. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1365100518000561
- Duffy, J., Karadimitropoulou, A. and M., Parravano, 2019. Financial Contagion in the Laboratory: Does Network Structure Matter?, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, vol. 51(5), pages 1097-1136. https://doi.org/10.1111/jmcb.12563
- Karadimitropoulou, A., 2018. Advanced Economies and Emerging Markets: dissecting the drivers of business cycle synchronization, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, vol. 93, pages 115-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jedc.2018.01.029
- Coricelli, F., Karadimitropoulou, A. and León-Ledesma M., 2016. Reallocation Effects of Recessions and Financial Crises: an industry-level analysis, B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, vol.16 (2), pages 485-522. https://doi.org/10.1515/bejm-2015-0082
- Karadimitropoulou, A. and León-Ledesma M., 2013. World, Country, and Sector Factors in International Business Cycles, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, vol. 37(12), pages 2913- 2927. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jedc.2013.09.002
- Crivellaro, E. and A. Karadimitropoulou, 2019. The role of financial constraints on labour share developments: macro- and micro-level evidence, Working Papers 257, Bank of Greece.
Work in Progress
- Commodity price uncertainty co-movement: does it matter for global economic activity and international trade? (with Ferrara L. and A. Triantafyllou)
- An experimental test of Keynes’s ‘animal spirits’: disentangling optimism and pessimism from news about the facts. (with Heap-Hargreaves S. and E. Levi)
B. Awards & Grants & Fellowships
- 07/2017-03/2019 - Marie Sklodowska Curie Individual Fellowship, Horizon 2020, European Commission
- May 2017 - Poster Competition: 1st Place, Bank of England Conference “Financial Services Indices, Liquidity and Economic Activity”
- April 2016 - Best Seminar Leader, University of East Anglia
- February 2014 - Fellow of Higher Education Academy
Fall Semester 2022-2023
Spring Semester 2022-2023