Professor Evangelos Sambracos is Vice Chairman of the Department of Economics and Director of the M.Sc. Programme "Economics of Education" at the Economics Department of the University of Piraeus. He holds a Bachelor (B.Sc.) degree in Civil Engineering from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (1980), a MSc degree (D.E.A.) in Transportation Economics from University of Lyon II (1981) and a Ph.D. degree (Doctorat d' Ingenieur) on Trasport Economics from University of Lyon II (1984) and the Ecole Nationale des Travaux Publics de l’ Etat (National School of France on Public Transportation).
His research interests lie in the areas of Cost, Pricing, Investment Evaluation on Transport and Maritime, Supply Chain Management, Logistics and Intermodal Transport.
He has been a member of numerous Advisory Boards: in the Ministry of National Economy, Scientific Advisor (1987-1992), HLPAP S.A. (Athens Trolleys Bus Company) Board of Directors, Vice President (2004-2007), and Director of Laboratory of Transport Economics in the Dept of Maritimes Studies (2002-2007).
Currently, he is Editor-in-Chief of the international peer-reviewed scientific Journal SPOUDAI-Journal of Economics & Business, which is edited by the University of Piraeus and Director of TESMOL (Transport Economics and Sustainable Mobility Laboratory).
- Transport Economics | 6th semester (compulsory)
- Transport and Maritime Policy | 3th semester (elective)
- Investment Appraisal | 7th semester (elective)
- Management of Transport Firms | 6th semester (elective) Dept. of Business Administration
Μ.Sc. in Economic & Business Strategy
- Project Appraisal | 2nd semester (compulsory)
- Transport and Maritime Economics | 3rd semester (elective)
Μ.Sc. Helth Economics & Managment
- Health Project Appraisal | 1st semester (compulsory)
- Health Inventory and Procuremen | 3rd semester (elective)
SELECTIVE PUBLICATIONS (REFEREED JOURNALS)
- Eleftheriou, K. & Sambracos, E. 2019, "Tourism–growth nexus and spatial spillovers: Evidence from Greece", Tourism Economics, Vol. 25 (2) pages 297-302.
- Alexopoulos, A. & Sambracos, E. 2018, "Flag State Policies and Labour Dynamics in the Shipping Industry", International Journal of Applied Systemic Studies, Inderscience Publishers, Vol. 8, No 3, pages 233-245.
- Maniati, M. & Sambracos, E., 2017, “Decision making process in shipping finance: A stochastic approach”, Cogent Economics and Finance, Taylor & Francis Group, Volume 5, Issue 1 (1317083).
- Maniati, M. & Sambracos, E., 2017, “Measuring the Technical Efficiency for the Shipping Banks. An Approach Using Data Envelopment Analysis”, Theoretical Economics Letters, Vol 7, pages 502-516.
- Papadopoulou, G., Sambracos, E. and Xesfigi, 2017, “Influential Factors of Passengers' Expenditures During A Cruise Trip: The Case of the Greek Islands”, South Eastern Europe Journal of Economics, Volume 15, No 1, pages 15-31.
- Evangelos Sambracos & Irene Ramfou, 2016. “Do Freight Transport Time Savings Translate to Benefit for Transport Consuming Companies?” International Journal of Business Science and Applied Management, Volume 11, Issue 2, pages 2-11.
- Evangelos Sambracos & Irene Ramfou, 2014, “The Effect of Freight Transport Time Changes on the Performance of Manufacturing Companies”, European Research Studies Journal, Vol. 17 (1), pages 119-138.
- Evangelos Sambracos & Georgia Papadopoulou, 2014 “Recent Evolution of Cruise Activities in European Ports of Embarkation: a Quantitative and Economic Approach”, Archives of Economic History Vol. XXVI Νο 1, pages 7-26.
- Evangelos Sambracos & Marina Maniat, 2014. "Financial Crisis & Passenger Shipping: Evidence from Greece,"SPOUDAI Journal of Economics and Business, vol. 64(2), pages 40-49, April-Jun.
- Evangelos Sambracos & Irene Ramfou, 2013. "Freight Transport Time Savings and Organizational Performance: A Systemic Approach," International Journal of Economic Sciences and Applied Research (IJESAR), vol. 6(1), pages 19-40.
- Evangelos Sambracos & Marina Maniat, 2013 “Financing shipping market: special characteristics and the impact of Basel III”, Journal of Advanced Studies in Finance, Vol. IV, 2(8) p.p.115-120.
- Evangelos Sambracos & Marina Maniati, 2012. "Competitiveness between short sea shipping and road freight transport in mainland port connections; the case of two Greek ports," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(3), pages 321-337.
- Konstantinos Rigas & Evangelos Sambracos & Androniki Gatzoli, 2011. "Air and sea transport: Competition strategies under normal and economic crisis environments," SPOUDAI Journal of Economics and Business, vol. 61(3-4), pages 65-84.
- Karlaftis, Matthew G. & Kepaptsoglou, Konstantinos & Sambracos, Evangelos, 2009. "Containership routing with time deadlines and simultaneous deliveries and pick-ups," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 210-221.
- Sambracos, Evangelos & Rigas, Konstantinos, 2007. "Passenger reactions to market deregulation: First results from the experience of the Greek islands market," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 61-66.
- Sambracos, E. & Paravantis, J. A. & Tarantilis, C. D. & Kiranoudis, C. T., 2004. "Dispatching of small containers via coastal freight liners: The case of the Aegean Sea," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 365-381, January.
- Evangelos Sambracos & Harilaos Harissis, 2003. “Advanced Transport Telematics Systems and User Requirements: an approach based on the experience gained in the Port of Piraeus from the Euroscope Project”, The Cyprus Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 3, No 4, 2003, p. 29-39.
- E. Sambracos, 2003. "Market analysis and pricing policies for sea canals: the case of the Greek Corinth Canal,"Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 175-190.
- Evangelos Sambracos & Irene Ramfou, 2001. “Shipment Tracking Technologies and Customer Satisfaction”, Operational Research, An International Journal, Hel.O.R.S., Vol.1, No1, January - April, pp. 43-55.
- Evangelos Sambracos & Joanna Tsiaparikou, 2001. "Sea-going labour and Greek owned fleet: a major aspect of fleet competitiveness," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(1), pages 55-69.
- Evangelos Sambracos, 1999. "Transportation and Tourism: An Economic Quantitative Analysis," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 2(1-4), pages 69-82.
OTHER PUBLICATIONS / DISCUSSION/WORKING PAPERS
- Sambracos, Evangelos & Maniati, Marina, 2013. "Shipping Market Financing: Special Features and the Impact of Basel III," MPRA Paper 51573, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sambracos E. “Sustainable Transports and Short Sea Shipping: toward a rational policy”, Volume of essays in Honour of Professor G. Giannopoulos, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 2012, p.p. 226-232.
- Sambracos E. and Maniati M. 2012. “Environment and Accidents: towards a comparative analysis of road freight transport in Greece”, with Maniati M., Volume of essays in Honour of Professor S. Karvounis, University of Piraeus, p.p. 645-661.
- Sambracos, Evangelos & Ramfou, Irene, 2010. "Assessing the role of goods transport in organizational performance," MPRA Paper 52204, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sambracos E. and Maniati M. 2010. “The road freight sector in the European Union and Greece: towards a deregulated market framework”, Volume of essays in Honour of Professor J. Vartholomaios, University of Piraeus, p.p. 1003-1023
- Sambracos, Evangelos, 2007. "The Development of Short Sea Shipping in the Eastern Mediterranean Region: Towards a Rational E.U. Freight Transport Policy," MPRA Paper 52422, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sambracos, Evangelos & Paravantis, John, 2006. "A comparative assessment of aggregate car ownership model estimation methodologies," MPRA Paper 52294, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sambracos E., Liapis P. and Rigas K. 2005. «The European Experience in Organization and Financing Issues of Arid Coastal lines», Essays in Honour of Professor T. Skountzos, University of Piraeus.
- Sambracos, Evangelos & Harissis, Harilaos, 2003. "Advanced Transport Telematics Systems and user requirements: An approach based on the experience gained in the port of Piraeus from the EUROSCOPE Project," MPRA Paper 52228, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexopoulos, Aristotelis & Fournarakis, Nikolaos & Sambracos, Evangelos, 2002. "Using System Dynamics to Improve the Marine Manpower of the Passenger Industry in Management Decisions," MPRA Paper 52339, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sambracos, Evangelos, 2002. "Le rôle possible du cabotage maritime dans le développement économique de l’Europe du Sud: vers une Organisation Polarisée? [The possible Role of the Coastal Shipping in the Economic Development of," MPRA Paper 52423, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sambracos, Evangelos, 2002. "Investment Evaluation of a Suburban Coastal Transport System," MPRA Paper54900, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sambracos, Evangelos, 2001. "The contribution of Coastal Shipping in the Regional Development of the Greek Islands. The Case of the Southern Aegean Region," MPRA Paper 52519, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sambracos, Evangelos & Katarelos, Eleftherios, 2000. "Decision Making Tool in Aviation Industry Considering Safety and Technologies Integration," MPRA Paper 52720, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sambracos, Evangelos, 2000. "Exploring Operational problems of the goods supply chain in the Greek islands: Towards a reengineering of the system," MPRA Paper 54911, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sambracos E. 1997. «The Qualitative Characteristics of the Passengers Shipping» Essays in Honour of Prof V.Ν. Metaxas, University of Piraeus, p.193-206.
- Sambracos E., Chlomoudis K. 1997. “The transport infrastructure in Greece and its role in Regional Development and European Integration” Review “Decentralization and Regional Development”, No. 7/1997, p. 63-73.
- Sambracos E. 1996. «Sea - River Transport, an Unknown Market for the Greek Companies» Crete University Press, «Management of SMEs» p. 269-275.
- Sambracos E. 1993. "Rail transport in Greece and National Economy", “Technica Chronica” 3/93, Scientific Edition of the Hellenic Technical Chamber p. 46-48.
- Sambracos, Evangelos & Yannelis, Dimitris, 1993. "On Non-Tatonnement Processes," MPRA Paper 52125, University Library of Munich, Germany.
“An Introduction to Transport Economics” 3d Edition, Publ. Α. Stamoulis, Athens 2013, p. 397.
“The Transport Sector and Combined Freight Transport” Publications Α. Stamoulis, Athens 2009, p. 243.
“Economic Exploitation of Ship” with J. Giannopoulos, Publications Eugenides Foundation, Athens 2008, p. 193.
“Costal Shipping and Short Sea Shipping” with Α. Goulielmos, Publications Α. Stamoulis, Athens 2002, p. 428.
“Charbon et Navigation Fluviale en France”, University of Lyon 2, CNRS on the séries «Etudes et Recherches», 184 pages, Lyon, June 1985.
CONTRIBUTION TO COLLECTIVE VOLUMES
“The Role of the Corinth Canal in the Development of the Southeastern European Short Sea Shipping” contribution in C. Fokas “Transport Issues And Problems In Southeastern Europe” Ed. Ashgate, Dec. 2004 ISBN: 0754619702.
“Investment Evaluation of a Suburban Coastal Transport System” contribution in K. Zopounidis “New Trends in Banking Management”, Series “Contribution to Management Science”, ed. Physica-Verlag, Heidelberg, New York, 2002, ISBN 3790814881.
Spring semester 2018-2019
- Wednesday, 16:00-17:00
- Friday, 13:00-14:00