In this section you can find answers to the most common questions incoming students and staff have for us!


1. What are the visa requirements for Greece?

For EU citizens’ visa is not necessary to enter Greece. However, a valid passport is required. If you are a non EU citizen you must know that the maximum stay in Greece is 3 (three) months, 90 (ninety) days. Visitors wishing to prolong their stay are required to obtain Resident's Permit.

Those who will be staying in Greece for more than 3 months, according to Greek national law, must present themselves to the Municipal Office of their residence area and apply for a Residence Permit.

If you are not a citizen from the EU you are advised to contact the Greek Embassy or Consulate (http://embassy.goabroad.com/embassies-of/Greece) in your home country for entrance regulations prior to your departure.

If you are a student accepted through a student exchange program, you will need a student visa issued by the Greek embassy or council in your country of residence. To obtain this visa you will need a letter from the University which states the reason for your visit and the duration of your stay.


2. Is there accommodation and nutrition provided by the University of Piraeus?

The University of Piraeus is not able to provide student residence to its students. However, the International Relations Office will provide help on finding accommodation for your stay as an Erasmus exchange student at our university.

Before you arrive at University of Piraeus you are asked to fill in a paper with your preferences about the accommodation so as that we will try to match your criteria with some of the houses’ offers that we have. Nevertheless you are free to search on your own through Internet or with the help of ESN of Unipi. (ESN=Erasmus Students’ Network).

It is advisable to book a hostel prior your arrival at Piraeus and the International Relations Office will provide you a list of flats and available rooms in Piraeus and in the centre of Athens.

University of Piraeus provides you with a nutrition card with which you can have free meals in the restaurant of the University for as long as you are Erasmus students at UniPi.


3. Are there specific insurance requirements?

Erasmus EU exchange students must bring with them their European Health Card obtained from the health insurance carrier in their own country.

For Erasmus students that could not obtain the European Health Card, a private health insurance is required.

The Incoming students for Placement should have a health insurance as well a third-party /liability insurance and a personal accident insurance.

The registration procedure at our university would not be finalized without having a health insurance.


4. When is the deadline for my application form?

Winter semester: 15th June

Spring semester: 15th December


5. Can I undertake an Erasmus+ Mobility for Traineeship in the University of Piraeus?

We accept incoming students for traineeships all year. At our University you can work on specific projects with a member of our Academic Personnel or join one of our Administrative Offices but after communication and arrangement with the relevant department or professor.


6. I have been selected to take part in an Erasmus+ Mobility. What is the procedure?

A.Before arrival

As long as we receive the nomination letter (official approval) from your University that you have been selected to attend the Erasmus Mobility program for a specific period you will be asked to send us the following:

  • Student Application form
  • Learning Agreement form (Before Mobility)
  • Housing Application form
  • European Health Insurance Card
  • Passport (photo) or identity card (photo)

*The Student must have a certificate (letter of acceptance) from their Home University stating that they have been selected under the Erasmus+ programme. This certificate is necessary for their registration.

B. Registration for Erasmus + students (arrival at University of Piraeus)

Upon arrival, all incoming students are obliged to attend the Orientation Day which takes place at the University of Piraeus (exact dates will be announced). After that, they can be enrolled at the Department they have been accepted.

The documents needed for the enrolment of exchange students at the Secretariat of their Department are the following:

  • Two (2) personal photographs
  • A copy of passport or identity card


7. Does the University of Piraeus provide other services to the incoming students?

University of Piraeus offers facilities and services for sports activities through the gym of Panteion University with which University of Piraeus is cooperated with.

Some of the offered sports are: track and field, swimming, water polo, tennis, table tennis, shooting, chess, skiing, football, volleyball, basketball, and aerobics.

The Library of the University of Piraeus is at the second basement level of the main building and

is open from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm every workday.

You can borrow without a fee a book according to the terms of your study cycle.


8. Is it possible to take part in Greek language course at the university?

Unfortunately it is not possible anymore this year to participate in Greek language course as it was during previous years.


9. How do I know that I am nominated and to which department I am assigned?

Firstly, you get acceptance at your university. Secondly you receive e-mail from our university about nomination and assigned department.


11. Which subjects can I choose and for how many credits?

You can find the available courses, according to your Department in UniPi in this link: http://www.unipi.gr/unipi/en/intl-office-european-projects/intl-office-erasmus-plus/mobility-for-studies.html


12. How long time can I stay for studies/placement? Is it possible to extend my stay?

Every incoming student can come for studies for one semester or one year, after first semester it is possible to extend your stay, but please note that, if your original grant was for the summer semester, you cannot extend your stay to include the winter semester.

The duration of a traineeship period is of a minimum of 2 months to a maximum of 12 months. In case of a combined study and traineeship, the minimum duration is 3 months and the maximum duration is 12 months, no matter how the time is shared between studies and traineeship.


13. Is it possible to stay for placement after I finish my studies at UniPi?

Of course it is possible, but first of all you have to finish your study cycle and fix all of issues connected with the documents after mobility. In order to start the procedure for the placement mobility, you must be approved by your higher educational institution and find a specific task with the appropriate staff to cooperate with (Academic or Administrative).


14. Are there any facilitations for people with special needs?

All   actions   of   Erasmus+   are   open   to   people   with   special   needs. The programme aims at promoting equity and inclusion by facilitating the access to learners with disadvantaged backgrounds and fewer opportunities compared to their peers including people with mental, physical, sensory or other disabilities.


15. I am an MBA/PhD student. Can I come for Erasmus+ studies/traineeship?

Under Erasmus+, MBA or doctoral students enrolled in a higher education institution can study or train abroad more than once as long as a total maximum of 12 months per study cycle is respected. This means that you can receive grants for mobility periods totalling up to 12 months during your master or doctoral studies.


16. Do I have to attend classes?

It depends on subjects and professors. Some courses require every week attendance, some other to write down essays and some of them meetings with professors in their offices. You will communicate with the responsible professor of each subject so as to arrange your schedule.


17. Is there any extra support from UniPi or from other projects?

You can get support from members of ESN UniPi, who are responsible for the assistance of Erasmus Incoming Students ,as well for organisation of events, trips and other activities.