Dr. Claire Economidou is Professor at the Department of Economics of the University of Piraeus. Claire joined the University of Piraeus in 2010 as Assistant Professor of Macroeconomics at the Department of Economics. Four years later, she became Associate Professor (2014) and as for October 1, 2018 Claire is (full) Professor of Macroeconomics.
Before joining University of Piraeus, Claire worked for six years (2004-2009) as Assistant Professor of Macroeconomics at the Utrecht School of Economics, Utrecht University, the Netherlands. Prior to her appointment in the Netherlands, Claire was a trainee at EUROSTAT, EU Commission (Department of Trade).
She holds a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree in Economics from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (2004), a Master of Arts (MA) degree in Economics from the University of Macedonia of Thessaloniki, Greece (2000) and a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree in Mathematics from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece (1997).
Her research interests lie on the fields of Economic Growth and Economics of Innovation. More specifically, her current research agenda is mainly concentrated on the knowledge diffusion dynamics and its impact on local innovation and growth perspectives, the role of financial frictions on country’s innovation performance, the assessment of the private value of patents, the role of institutions and social capital in shaping entrepreneurship and innovation, among others.
She has published more than 20 papers in academic journals -some of which are leading in the field- such as the European Economic Review, the Journal of Development Economics, the Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, among others, and part of her research has been financed by the European Research Council (ERC) and the National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF) grants.
Her research team currently consists of Alexandra Kechrinioti (Ph.D.), Alexandros Bechlioulis (Post-Doc), Konstantinos Dellis (Post-Doc), Dimitris Karamanis (Post-Doc), Dimitris Konstantios (Ph.D.), and Sofia Xesfingi (Research Assistant); their research is financed by National fellowships (Bank of Greece) and EU grants (NSRF).
For full CV, click here.
- Intermediate Macroeconomics (3rd semester) - mandatory
- Economic Growth (7th semester) - mandadory
- Special Topics in Macroeconomics (8th semester) - elective
M.Sc. in Bioeconomics
- Economics of Innovation (1st semester) - mandadory
- RESEARCHA. Journals, Working Papers & Work in ProgressB. Ph.D. & Post-Doc SupervisionC. Awards & Grants & Fellowships————————————————————————————A. Journals, Working Papers & Work in Progress————————————————————————————
1. Souglie, Efrosini & Dimelis, Sophia & Economidou, Claire, 2018. "Does ISO 9000 Certification Matter for Firm Performance? A Group Analysis of Greek Listed Companies." International Journal of Production Economics, forthcoming (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
2. Drivas, Kyriakos & Economidou, Claire & Tsionas, Efthymios, 2018. "Production of Output and Ideas: Efficiency and Growth Patterns in the US" Regional Studies, vol. 52(1), pages 105-118.
3. Drivas, Kyriakos & Economidou, Claire & Karkalakos, Sotiris & Tsionas, Efthymios, 2016. "Mobility of Knowledge and Local Innovation Activity", European Economic Review, vol. 85, pages 39-61.
4. Bos, Jaap W.B. & Candelon, Bertrand & Economidou, Claire, 2016. "Does Technology Spill Over across National Borders and Technology Regimes?" Journal of Productivity Analysis, vol. 46(1), pages 63-82.
5. Economidou, Claire & Drivas, Kyriakos & Karamanis, Dimitrios & Zank, Arleen, 2016. "Academic Patents and Technology Transfer", Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, vol. 40, pages 45-63.
6. Drivas, Kyriakos & Economidou, Claire, 2015. "Is Geographic Nearness Important for Trading Ideas? Evidence from the US," Journal of Technology Transfer, vol. 40(4), pages 629-662.
7. Drivas, Kyriakos & Economidou, Claire & Karklakos, Sotiris, 2014. "Spatial Aspects of Innovation Activity in the US," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, vol. 5(3), pages 464-480.
8. Drivas, Kyriakos & Economidou, Claire, 2013. "Government sponsorship and nature of patenting activity of US universities and corporations," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, vol. 22(8), pages 775-806.
9. Bos, Jaap W.B. & Economidou, Claire & Sanders, Mark W.J.L., 2013. "Innovation over the industry life-cycle: Evidence from EU manufacturing," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, vol. 86(C), pages 78-91.
10. Bos, J.W.B. & Economidou, Claire & Koetter, M., 2010. "Technology clubs, R&D and growth patterns: Evidence from EU manufacturing," European Economic Review, vol. 54(1), pages 60-79.
12. Nicholas Apergis & Claire Economidou & Ioannis Filippidis, 2009. "International technology spillovers, human capital and productivity linkages: evidence from the industrial sector," Empirica, vol. 36(4), pages 365-387.
13. Economidou, Claire & Kool, Clemens, 2009. "European economic integration and (a)symmetry of macroeconomic fluctuations," Economic Modelling, vol. 26(4), pages 778-787.
14. Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Claire Economidou, 2009. "Export-led Growth vs. Growth-led Exports: LDCs Experience," Journal of Developing Areas, vol. 42(2), pages 179-209.
15. Claire Economidou & Antu Panini Murshid, 2008. "Testing the Linkages between Trade and Productivity Growth," Review of Development Economics, vol. 12(4), pages 845-860.
16. Nicholas Apergis & Claire Economidou & Ioannis Filippidis, 2008. "Innovation, Technology Transfer and Labor Productivity Linkages: Evidence from a Panel of Manufacturing Industries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), vol. 144(3), pages 491-508.
17. Nicholas Apergis & Ioannis Filippidis & Claire Economidou, 2007. "Financial Deepening and Economic Growth Linkages: A Panel Data Analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), vol. 143(1), pages 179-198.
18. Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Claire Economidou & Gour Goswami, 2006. "Bilateral J-curve between the UK vis-a-vis her major trading partners," Applied Economics, vol. 38(8), pages 879-888.
19. Claire Economidou & Vivian Lei & Janet Netz, 2006. "International Integration and Growth: A Further Investigation on Developing Countries," International Advances in Economic Research, vol. 12(4), pages 435-448.
20. Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Claire Economidou, 2006. "Do budget deficits crowd in or crowd out private investment: evidence from Europe," International Journal of Public Policy, vol. 1(3), pages 223-232.
22. Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Claire Economidou & Gour Gobinda Goswami, 2005. "How sensitive are Britain's inpayments and outpayments to the value of the British pound," Journal of Economic Studies, vol. 32(5), pages 455-467.
1. ‘Knowledge Spillovers from Creation to Exploitation: A Theoretical Model with Implications for Firms and Public Policy’ Tjalling C. Koopmans Institute (TKI) Discussion Paper 09-32, School of Economics, Utrecht University (with Zoltan Acs and Mark Sanders)
2. ‘A Poisson Stochastic Frontier Model with Finite Mixture Structure.’ MPRA Paper No. 57485, July 2014 (with Kyriakos Drivas and Mike Tsionas)
3. ‘What Shapes Europeans? Attitudes toward Xeno-philia(/phobia)?’ MPRA Paper 76511, January 2017 (with Dimitris Karamanis, Alexandra Kechrinioti and Sofia Xesfingi)
WORK IN PROGRESS
1. ‘Mobility of Highly-Skilled Individuals and Local Innovation Activity.’(with Kyriakos Drivas, Dimitris Karamanis, and Mark Sanders)
2. ‘How Important are Capital Controls in Shaping R&D Activity?’ (with Alexandros Bechlioulis and Dimitris Konstantios)
3. ‘Firm’s Innovation and Market Valuation: Is There any Threshold Effect?’ (with Kyriakos Drivas, Elena Ketteni and Konstantina Kottaridi)
4. ‘Unveiling the Real Effects of the Monetary Policy in the US.’ (with Delis Manthos, Dimitris Konstantios, Emmanuel Tsiritakis)
5. ‘Corporate Intangible Assets and Mergers and Acquisitions.’ (with Dimitris Konstantios, Nickolaos Travlos and Emmanuel Tsiritakis)
6. ‘Channels of Technology Diffusion: A GVAR Approach.’ (with Kyriakos Drivas and Panagiotis Michaelidis)——————————————————-B. Ph.D. & Post-Doc Supervision——————————————————-
- Kyriakos Drivas (2012-2014), "Firms’ Perception of Patent Valuation’, Department of Economics, University of Piraeus, Greece (grant from the National Strategic Reference Framework, No: SH1 4083)
- Konstantinos Dellis (2017-2018), "The Role of Financial Development in the Attraction of FDI Flows and their Spillover Effects’, Economics Department, University of Piraeus, Greece (grant from the Bank of Greece)
- Alexandros Bechlioulis (2017-present), "The Role of Government Debt on Corporate Borrowing”, Department of Economics, University of Piraeus, Greece
- Dimitrios Karamanis (2018-current), "Immigration, Mobility and Economic Growth", Department of Economics, University of Piraeus, Greece
- Alexandros Bechlioulis (2013-2017), ’The Implications of Financial Risk for Household Consump- tion under Macro-prudential Policy Rules’, Department of Economics, University of Piraeus, Greece
- Dimitris Karamanis (2014-2017), ‘Essays on Technology Transfer and Diffusion’, Department of Economics, University of Piraeus, Greece
- Dimitris Konstantios (2014-present), ’Essays on Innovation, Growth and Finance’, Department of Economics, University of Piraeus, Greece
- Alexandra Kechrinioti (2017-present), ‘Economic Growth, Military Spending and Terror’, Depart- ment of Economics, University of Piraeus, Greece———————————————————-C. Awards & Grants & Fellowships———————————————————-
- 2015-2018: Grant 2.5 million Euros - Horizon2020 - European Commission Framework (Code: H2020 EURO-2-2014-649378-FIRES), ‘Financial and Institutional Re- forms for Entrepreneurial Society.’
[Partners: University of Piraeus, University of Utrecht (co-ordinator), Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (BE), Friedrich Schiller Universitaet, Jena (GE), Univer- sity of Pecs (HU), Politecnico di Milano (IT), Instituto Superior Technico (PT), Research Institute of Industrial Economics (SW), & London School of Eco- nomics (UK). Deliverables: (a) Entrepreneurial Philanthropy and Local Eco- nomic Growth, and (b) Knowledge Diffusion in the EU: the Role of Talented Migrants]
- 2017: Grant 25,000 Euros from the Bank of Greece, ‘FDI and Innovation in Greece’
- 2016: Traveling Research Grant 5,000 Euros from Utrecht School of Economics, Utrecht University, the Netherlands
- 2012-2014: Grant 150,000 Euros from National Strategic Framework (NSRF/No: SH1 4083), ‘Firms’ Perception of Patent Valuation’
- 2008-2009: Researcher of the Year Award by Utrecht School of Economics, Utrecht Univer- sity, the Netherlands
- 2004-2007: Excellence in Teaching Economics Award by Utrecht School of Economics, Utrecht University, the Netherlands
- 2002-2003: Gerondelis Foundation, Boston USA: Fellowship for Excellence in Ph.D. studies
- 1998-1999: State Scholarships Foundation (I.K.Y.), Greece: Scholarship for Excellence in M.A. studies
- 1993-1994: State Scholarships Foundation (I.K.Y.), Greece: Scholarship for Excellence in B.Sc. studies
Fall semester 2018-2019
- Tuesday, 16:00-17:00