Email: mhalk at unipi dot gr
I obtained my degree in Informatics from University of Piraeus in 1997 and my M.Sc. and PhD degrees from
Athens University of Economics & Business
(AUEB) in 1999 and 2003, respectively.
I have conducted research in AUEB and CERTH (Centre for Research & Technology, Hellas) participating in several National and European-funded projects and in University of California at Riverside as a Marie-Curie fellow funded by EU.
My research interests include Machine Learning and Data Mining Techniques, Recommender Systems, Social Network Analysis, Big Data Analytics, Data Mining in Distributed environments.
I have participated in many program committees of international conferences in the areas of Data Mining and Machine Learning.
Some indicative publications are listed below:
· Koutsopoulos, M. Halkidi. “Optimization of Multi-Stakeholder Recommender Systems for Diversity and Coverage”. AIAI 2021.
· M. Halkidi, I. Koutsopoulos. "Recommender systems with Selfish Users". Knowledge and Information Systems, Springer, 2020.
· Maria Halkidi, Ι Koutsopoulos. “QGraph: A quality assessment index for graph clustering”. short paper in European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR), 2019.
· Iordanis Koutsopoulos, Maria Halkidi. “Efficient and Fair Item Coverage in Recommender Systems”. IEEE Intl Conf on Big Data Intelligence and Computing (DataCom'2018), 2018
· Maria Karanasou, Anneta Ampla, Christos Doulkeridis, Maria Halkidi. “Scalable and Real-time Sentiment Analysis of Twitter Data", SENTITE (in conjunction with IEEE ICDM workshop), 2016.
· Koutsopoulos, A. Gionis, M. Halkidi. "Auctioning Data for Learning", MoDAT, (in conjunction with IEEE ICDM 2015), December 2015.
· H. Vahabi, I. Koutsopoulos, F. Gullo, M. Halkidi. "Optimal User Engagement through Social-Diffusion-Aware Recommender Systems", ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM), 2015.
· Koutsopoulos and M. Halkidi, "Distributed energy-efficient estimation in spatially correlated wireless sensor networks”, Elsevier Computer Communications (Special Issue on Green Networks), 2014.
· M. Halkidi, M. Vazirgiannis, “Clustering Validity Assessment: Finding the optimal partitioning of a data set”, in the Proceedings of ICDM Conference, California, USA, November 2001.
· Maria Halkidi Michalis Vazirgiannis, "A data set oriented approach for clustering algorithm selection", in the Proceedings of PKDD (Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases), Freiburg, Germany, 2001.
· M. Halkidi, Y. Batistakis, M. Vazirgiannis, "On Clustering Validation Techniques", Intelligent Information Systems Journal, Kluwer Pulishers, 17(2-3): 107-145, 2001.
· Data Warehouses and Data Mining — 8th semester
· Database Systems — 5th semester
· Advanced Topics in Data Analytics — 7th semester
· Database Systems Design — 4th semester