Much of my research is focused on industrial organization, entrepreneurship and small & medium sized enterprises, business innovation, technology transfer, and business ethics. I am currently involved in a number of research projects that study: innovation determinants in Greek Small & Medium Sized Enterprises, factors affecting competitiveness of business clusters, competitiveness of the Euro zone manufacturing, and a cross-country analysis of controlling and business sustainability.
- Industrial Economics I (BA)
- Industrial Economics II (BA)
- Entrepreneurship I (BA)
- Entrepreneurship II (BA)
- Entrepreneurship in Practice
- Innovation Management (MSc in Economics)
- Economics of Entrepreneurship and Policy (MSc)
- Basic Principles of Management (MSc)
I am currently involved in the supervision of:
Eirini Meggouli, "Manpower Planning for Primary Healthcare Organization". University of Piraeus, Department of Economics (Member of the Ph.D. Committee since 2012).
Εirini Ramfou, "The ttransportation of goods as inductive effect of business performance". University of Piraeus, Department of Economics (Member of the Ph.D. Committee since 2011).
Maria Kalantzi “A Study on the monopoly power of the Greek manufacturing industry with emphasis in the food industry'. University of Ioannina, School of management of natural resources & enterprises, Dept of Business Administration of Agricultural Products & Food. (Member of the PH.D committee since18/03/2009).
Published Papers in refereed Journals
“The Determinants of Business Start-Ups in Tertiary Education: Evidence for Greece through a Panel Data Approach” (forthcoming in 2012), (with N. Apergis) Journal of Economics and Finance (Publisher: Springer). http://www.springerlink.com/content/3238554104202r23/
“Students’ Propensity to Entrepreneurship: an Exploratory Study from Greece”, (2012 in press), International Journal of Innovation and Regional Development (IJIRD), Vol. 4, No. 3, Special Issue on: "Innovative Entrepreneur ship: Sources of Innovation, Policies and Learning" (Publisher: Inderscience).
“Market power in oil industry: the wholesale and retailing case” (2011), (with M. Polemis), Economics and Finance Notes Journal, Vol. 1, Number 1, Jan-Jun 2011(Publisher: Serials). [in press]
“Does financial Knowledge in Small & Medium-Sized Enterprises matter? An empirical survey for Greece” (forthcoming in 2011) (with M. Stefanitsis & J. Hassid), International Journal of Economics and Business Research (IJEBR) (Publisher: Inderscience).
“Competitiveness of the coastal ferry boat industry: Εvidence from SMEs in Greece” (2010) (with M. Polemis), Global Business & Economic Anthology (GBEA), Vol II, Issue 2, pp. 20-32. (ISSN: 1553-1392. Publisher: B&ESI. [In Cabell’s Directory of Publishing Opportunities & Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) Australian Research Council: Ranked Journal list].
- “Is rationing an option for approaching Healthcare services provision? The case of the Greek cardiac patients” (2010) (with E. Tzanalaridou & A. Ballas), International Advances in Economic Research Journal, Vol. 16, No. 1, February 2010, pp. 109-122 (Publisher: Springer). (Published and available on line from 16-11-2009). DOI:10.1007/s11294-009-9249-0. <http://www.springerlink.com/content/48470n228lr80hl6/ >
- “Trends in the European electricity market: the case of Greece” (2010) (with M. Polemis), International Journal of Economics and Business Research (IJEBR), Vol. 2, No 5, pp. 369-386. (Publisher: Inderscience). <http://www.inderscience.com/search/index.php?action=record&rec_id=35006&prevQuery=&ps=10&m=or>
- “Policy Measures Aiming at Reducing CO2 Emissions: An Analysis of the Greek Experience” (2010) (with M. Polemis), International Journal of Business Policy and Economics (former name: Applied Economics and Policy Analysis), Vol. 3, No 2, July-December 2010, pp. 249-264. (ISSN: 0973-5801)
- "Commercialising research results in immature technology transfer markets: cases from the Greek experience" (2010) (with N. Melanitis and V. Tsakalos), International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 213-227. (Publisher: Inderscience). DOI: 10.1504/IJEIM.2010.030069. Published and available also online at: <http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID=7&year=2010&vol=11&issue=2>.
- “Liberalisation of the European natural gas market: Myth or reality? Evidence from Greece” (2009) (with M.L. Polemis). In Rezitis A. (ed.) Research Topics in Agricultural and Applied Economics, London: Bentham Science Publishers, 2009, Ch. 11, pp. 168-183. Available also at the following link: <http://bentham.org/ebooks/9781608050987/index.htm>.
- “The Control of Finance and Industry in Modern Democracies” (Jan-June 2009) (with J. Donaldson), The Journal of World Economics Review (JWER), Vol. 4, No 1, pp 23-37. (Publisher: Serials) ISSN: 0973-4368.
- “Technology watch: an empirical analysis of the technology supply and demand in Europe, in relation to technology and organizational characteristics” (2009) (with N. Melanitis), International Journal of Economic Research, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 51-60. (ISSN: 0972-9380) (Publisher: Serials).
- “Transparency and Disclosure Scores of Greek Listed Firms: An Empirical Study” (July 2008) (with A. Ballas & D. Kaforos), International Journal of Economic Research, Vol. 5, No 2, pp. 173-184. (ISSN: 0972-9380) (Publisher: Serials).
- “Market Shares and Concentration in the EU Auditing Industry: the Effects of Andersen’s Demise” (Nov. 2008) (with A. Ballas), International Advances in Economic Research Journal, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 485-497. (Publisher: Springer) DOI: 10.1007/s11294-008-9167-6. <http://www.springerlink.com/content/2575ux2144l13v77/>
- “The Contribution of Privatization to Welfare” (Nov. 2007) (with J. Donaldson), International Advances in Economic Research Journal, Vol. 13, Number 4, pp. 461-474. (Publisher: Springer) DOI: 10.1007/s11294-007-9111-1 (ISSN: 1083-0898).
- “Principles of Administration Revised” (May 2007) (with J. Donaldson), International Journal of Social Economics, Vol. 34, Issue 5, pp. 297–309. (Publisher: Emerald) DOI: 10.1108/03068290710741561.
- “Privatization’s Narrative of State-Owned Services: panacea or threat to businesses and labour forces democracy” (Dec 2006) (with J. Donaldson), International Journal of Cooperative Management, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 39 - 44. (Publisher: New Harmony Press, UK).
- “Is the European Shipping Industry Aware of Corporate Social Responsibility? The case of the Greek-owned short sea shipping companies” (July 2006), (with M. Lekakou & I. Theotokas), Marine Policy Journal, Vol. 30, Issue 4, pp. 412 - 419. (Publisher: Elsevier). [Also available on line from: 25 May 2005, http://www.sciencedirect.com ].
18.1 Το Αbstract του άρθρου έχει δημοσιευθεί και στο Law and Policy Digest, Vol. 5, No 1, 2006.
- 18.2 The article is included in the top TOP 25s of Sciencedirect articles within the Journal of Marine Policy for year 2006.
Internationalization and Human Resources Development in European Small Firms: A Comparative Study” (April 2006), (with J. Hassid), Production Planning and Control Journal: The Management of Operations. Special Issue: Production and Operations under SME’s perspective, Vol. 17, No 3, pp. 247- 256. (Publisher: Taylor & Francis Group). DOI: 10.1080/09537280500285086.
“The Theory of the Firm: R. H. Coase – 66 years later” (2005), (with V. Pekka-Economou), Spoudai Quarterly Economic Journal, Vol. 55, Issue 1, No. 1, pp. 89 - 113.
“The Ambiguity of the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP): Hit or Doom?” (2005) (with P. Zervopoulos), European Research Studies Journal, Vol. VII, Issue (3-4), pp. 101-119.
“Business Ethics, Corporate Social Responsibility and Corporate Governance: a Review and Summary Critique” (2003), (with J. Donaldson), European Research Studies Journal, Vol. VI, Issue (1-2), pp. 97 - 117.
“The problematic nature of the globalization thesis: Ιts strategic implications for small and medium sized private and social economy enterprises” (2003), International Journal of Cooperative Management, University of Leicester, UK, Volume 1, July 2003, pp. 23 - 34.
“Underlying Values and consequences in financial services” (2003), (with J. Donaldson), International Journal of Value-based Management, 16/3, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Nether lands, pp. 265-280. DOI: 10.1023/A: 1025818025937.
“The Historical Course of the Greek Coastal Transport Services: from the middle of the19th to the end of the 20th century” (2003) (with M. Lekakou), Archives of Economic History Journal, Volume XV, Issue I, January – June 2003, pp. 127 - 153.
Published Papers in referred Volumes
Fafaliou (with Ι. Theotokas) (2007), “Conditions which promote the innovative and competitive
capabilities of family businesses: the Costamare case”. Essays in honour of Professor K. N. Dervitsiotis “Quality and Entrepreneurial Excellence”). (In Greek) [to be published]
Ι. Fafaliou (with Ε. Theodoropoulou) (2003). The Local Aspects of Regional and Employ ment Strategies: indicators’ issues involved in evaluation processes of developmental policies. In Essays in honour of Professor Apostolos Lazaris, Β’ τόμος, (Ed) University of Piraeus, pp. 209 - 232.
David J. Storey, Francis Greene, Joseph Hassid, Irene Fafaliou Entrepreneurship for Small & Medium Sized Enterprises. Publisher: KRITIKI, 2011, Athens (in Greek).
Irene Fafaliou (2011) Entrepreneurship I: Basic concepts and Perceptions. Available also on line at the “Innovation and Entrepreneurship Unit” of the University of Piraeus (in Greek) (http://mokep.unipi.gr).
Book Chapters in international and national publications
(Ch. 1) Fafaliou, I. (June 2008). Human Resources. In: Hassid J. and Komselis A. (eds.) INTRODUCTION TO ENTREPRENEURSHIP- PART C: Entrepreneurial Small Firms’ Management Essentials of SME Management & Entrepreneurial Management. Available also on-line at: <http://entrepreneurship-georgia.unipi.gr >.
(Ch. 2) Lekakou, M. and Fafaliou, Ι. (2006). The Coastal Shipping Issue in Greece: State Policies, Market Structure and Key Causes. In: Hatzioannou M.C. and Harlaftis G. (Eds.) Following the Nereids: Sea routes and maritime business, 16th- 20th centuries, Athens: KERKYRA Publications, pp. 166-180.
(Ch. 3) Fafaliou, I. (2006). Human Resources Management in Small Firms. In: J. Hassid (Ed.) Modules in Entrepreneurship, Chapter 3rd, Vol. 4th, Athens. (In Greek)
Irene Fafaliou (forthcoming in 2012) (co-Editor) – Editing and Adaptation in Greek of the book of Frank Hoy & Pramodita Sharma, “Family Firms – An Entrepreneurial Approach” Athens 2010: “Ion-Ellin” Publications. On behalf of Pearson Prentice Hall.
I. Fafaliou (forthcoming in 2012). Editing and Adaptation in Greek of the book of Michael A. Hitt, J. Stewart Black & Lyman W. Porter “Management” (2nd Ed), Athens 2010: “Ion-Ellin” Publications. On behalf of Pearson Prentice Hall.
I. Fafaliou (2010) (co-Editor). Editing and Adaptation in Greek of the book of Arthur C. Brooks, “Social Entrepreneurship” –A Modern Approach to Social Venture Creation”, Athens: “Ion-Ellin” Publications. On behalf of Pearson Prentice Hall.
I. Fafaliou (2009). Editing and Adaptation in Greek of the book of Michael E. Porter & Elizabeth Olmsted Teisberg, “Redefining Health Care – Creating Value-based Competition on Results”, Athens 2009: “Ion-Ellin” Publications. On behalf of Harvard Business School Press.
I. Fafaliou (2006) (co-Editor): Editing and Adaptation in Greek of the book “INDUSTRIAL ORGANIZATION – Theory and Practice”, Vol. I, by Don E. Waldman and Elisabeth J. Jensen, Athens: «Ellin» Publications. On behalf of Addison – Wesley publishing, USA.
I. Fafaliou (2006) (co-Editor): Editing and Adaptation in Greek of the book “INDUSTRIAL ORGANIZATION - Theory and Practice- Competition policy and Case Studies”, Vol. II, by Don E. Waldman and Elisabeth J. Jensen, Athens: «Ellin» Publications. On behalf of Addison – Wesley publishing, USA.
Κατεβάστε το πλήρες βιογραφικό σε μορφή pdf
Download the full CV in pdf
Dr. Irene Fafaliou
In Enterprise and Small & Medium Sized support Policies
University of Piraeus main building
Karaoli & Dimitriou 80, Piraeus, 185 34, Greece
Office Hours: Wednesday 14.00-16.00h
(or by appointment)
Phone: +30 210 4142157